Saturday, April 20, 2013

Two for One

Turkey season again.  With my failed attempt at deer hunting and archery in general, I was glad to get a shotgun back into my hands.
Opening weekend, my brother-in-law and I were able to call in a nice tom.  Lance shot him at 10 yards, full strut!  It was about as perfect a hunt as you can get. 
 My first weekend to hunt started off with great weather.  The birds were gobbling in the roost like popcorn popping in the pan.


 The blind has served its purpose, albeit maybe too well.  I don't know if you're supposed to feel comfortable AND drink coffee while hunting, but that ended up not hurting my chances!
 
 I have yet to go hunting and NOT see something amazing or beautiful while I'm out.  Whether it's interesting patterns in the clouds, new noises in the woods, or dew droplets in the wheat, God's creative nature is always on display. (Rom. 1)

 I had arrived that morning about 6:00 am just as dawn was beginning to break.  Basically I was showing up too late and risking getting spotted by a roosting turkey.  Apparently that's exactly what happened because as soon as the turkey started flying down, they headed in the opposite direction of me.  However, with so much activity in the woods, I was able to listen and call back to several different groups of turkeys within a half mile of the blind.  Eventually, without warning, a group of Jake's came running out of the woods directly toward the decoy.  I didn't notice them until they were already in range.  All I had time to do was pull my gun up and aim at the "biggest" one.  The turkey were so close together that when I pulled the trigger, not one but two turkey bit the dust!  I couldn't believe it, but there were two turkeys flopping on the ground with five others milling around with curiosity.  If I'd had more tags, I'd have kept shooting!

 Even though the birds were young, (1 yr or less) they still weighed a fair amount.  Short beards (3-4 in) and barely any spurs mean I won't get to brag on size, but I couldn't pass the blessing of two birds in one shot.

 To show how cool it was, I photographed the ice-crystals on my boot from walking through the frosty wheat.

Photo-Op!!  
  

 Since getting two birds was so "easy", there had to be a challenge.  Thus: plucking  and prepping two birds with the skin on.  The clock below shows 10:29 am.  I shot that bird at 7:30 am.  Besides driving home, that's how long it took to get one turkey plucked!
 The nasty plucking process. The amount of bloody water left over made me seriously consider creating a short zombie movie and using that water for special effects.  Problem is; I have no idea how to do that.
 Back was sore at this point.  I really need to talk to a professional about better plucking techniques.
 This is not the final product, but the work was definitely worth it. (I finished the 2nd turkey right before lunch)  We roasted this bird and it came out really moist and tasty!  Even the upper leg meat was superb.  (btw: that's not blood, but Syrup, BBQ sauce, Lemon juice, A-1 sauce, and a couple other secret ingredients!)

Recap:
1.  Super blessed to be in the woods on nice day.
2.  Super blessed to get two birds.
3. Really thankful to my wife for letting me spend all morning cleaning and plucking these birds and using her pots and pans and maybe getting a little blood on the deck while she watched our two boys.

Get outside!


1 comment:

  1. Tasted so good! I'm thrilled to have this in my freezer! So healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete