Sunday, October 6, 2013

Spiritual Heroes

Hero: (1)  a man admired for his achievements or noble qualities
Hero: (2) a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability 

 The morning of our trip had an almost mythological start!

On September 27th, John Piper spoke about C.S. Lewis at a Desiring God National Conference which also hosted the musical artist Shane and Shane.  I don't know if you'd be able to learn more about me in three hours over coffee than if you'd read and understood the significance (to me) of the previous sentence.  As far as heroes go (and I prefer the 2nd definition over the first) these three men are to me, almost mythological but definitely legendary.  That conference helped me further appreciate the fact that men though flawed, are definitely used by God in extraordinary ways when they give their great talents and focus to His design and purpose.


It wouldn't be right to miss out on Brit's Pub. We ate there in honor of C.S. Lewis.

C.S. Lewis became perhaps my first "dead" author hero when an older man at church suggested that "The Screwtape Letters" was a book every youth should read.  At 16, I wasn't at all interested in books, much less ones recommended by an adult!  However, when he mentioned that it was a conversation between two of satan's minions about how to corrupt a christian man, I was intrigued and checked it out.  This story became the first "Christian" book I ever finished within a year of starting.  Apart from the riveting dialogue, I found myself utterly exposed and convicted by the tricks the devils devised to corrupt their christian.  Almost every chapter struck my heart with the fact that like the christian in the demons' sights, I too was falling prey to many such schemes.  Perhaps the most popular quote from this book awoke me to the danger of small sins:
"The safest road to Hell is the gradual one — the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts."

This and many other such warnings and admonitions from one devil to another launched me into feeding frenzy on Lewis.  Not only was my conscience and heart struck by the content, but my mind and heart were lit up with wonder at how a man could write so well through the voice of a character that was well expressed and entertaining to read.  Lewis carried me through High School to College, where I found a hunger for deeper and meatier spiritual issues.  A good friend (almost a hero too) took me and a group of college students to hear some lectures by a man named Paul Washer. (He started HeartCry Missionary Society)  It was a good thing I had no idea who he was because people don't really sign up with excitement to hear a "fire and brimstone" preacher, which he seemed immediately to be.  However, despite the delivery most people don't enjoy, his content was deep and meaningful.  This was my first exposure, denial, and acceptance of the reformed doctrine, often-times called Calvinism.  Shock, astonishment, and then amazement came over me when I heard that unlike humans, God gave no course of salvation for the fallen angels.  They were to be forever lost and suffer eternal punishment.  We however, had been shown grace.  This was God's prerogative, not our right! This, and many other eternal truths were expounded in such a serious and concrete way that I found my hunger being satisfied.  One of his final pieces of advice to us was to read through the bible, cover to cover, and keep a journal of ANY questions you have, great or small in significance.  Then, listen to sermons by John Piper or John MacArthur and read books that have been considered classics for a long time, not just the new popular ones.  This was the beginning of my second conversion, to that of a biblical life as explained by reformed theology.

John Piper speaking about C.S. Lewis at the Desiring God Conference

Through Paul Washer's recommendation, I began an ongoing relationship with John Piper through his sermons, books, and online discussions.  I found his passion for the supremacy of God intoxicating, his preaching convicting, and his strong personality riveting.  As a new believer in reformed theology, I had so many questions that he helped answer through the Old and New Testaments, and many times the answer was: "For the glory of God"  This has become my helpful, comforting, encouraging, and delightful answer to many of life's challenges.  To know that God does all things for his own glory, and our conversion and salvation is essential to that, gives me great hope and joy in God.
Thus, C.S. Lewis and John Piper have become the most read authors in my life.  One awakened my imagination and mind to the reality of God, and the other awakened my mind and heart to the glory of God.  Shane and Shane put both realities to music.
Shane, Shane, and Joey.

Shane Barnard and Shane Everett have been singing/playing together since 2001, which is when I first heard of them.  College students are known for listening to weird music, and I suppose theirs was no exception.  Powerful vocals with almost unlimited ranges coupled with guitar strumming that seems inhumanly fast created an interesting palate on which they could compose and express scripture in beautifully poetic ways.  I still to this day haven't heard a song of theirs on the radio, but my music library is almost complete with every song they've written so I don't go long without hearing their songs.  Perhaps the most astonishing thing to me, is their lyrics are so well written, it feels like you're reading Lewis or Piper in three and a half minutes.  You experience deep, meaningful theology mixed with imaginative composition and rhyme schemes that communicate scripture straight to your heart.  I am indeed a fan, yet perhaps to no other artist do I owe such a great spiritual debt for the way their music returns my heart to the Lord. Check out this version of Psalm 145 to get a taste of vintage Shane and Shane.
 Shane Barnard (Playing a custom made guitar!)

To say that this conference was encouraging would be highly accurate.  Yet more than that, it was an opportunity to give a sacrifice of thanksgiving to God for these heroes in my life.  None of them are perfect or worthy of worship, yet God put in each of them something that overflowed their own cups into mine and many others that in turn, turned us back to God.  To God Be The Glory. 2 Cor. 4:15














The following are random pictures for the family!


 I-35 through Missouri, Iowa, and Minnesota.  No construction until the last 40 miles!

 The Mrs. and I arriving (almost late) to the first session in Minneapolis, MN.
 Due to the unexpected construction, we were able to enjoy the conference center food.  Dunn Brothers Coffee company. 
 Getting ready for our first session.  The convention center was pretty cool too!

 Blurry picture, but it always amazes me that Piper takes time to shake hands, do photographs, and listen to people after 50 minutes of speaking.  There were a lot of people in that line.

There were a lot of big churches downtown.
Doug Wilson.  I'd never heard of him but he gave a very good talk on Lewis' theology.

 Outside view of the convention center.

 Some very interesting and symmetrical patterns on the ceiling of the exhibit hall.

 Lunch the day of the C.S. Lewis conference:  Fish and Chips (and yes, a Guinness).
 We made friends waiting in line at Britt's Pub, and decided to join each other for lunch.  We really enjoyed the fellowship of Joseph and Julie.
 Another beautiful church downtown.

 Somehow we ended up here.  (Mall of America)

 It was so huge they could put a ferris-wheel inside.

 The convention center wasn't packed, but it did seem like a great turnout.  Another picture showing how beautiful the center was.
 Last picture in downtown Minneapolis.  We had a wonderful time even with the cool rain that fell most of the day Friday.
 This was on the way home.  Saw it and immediately thought of my 4 year old so this is for Gabe!


No comments:

Post a Comment