Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Outdoors #3: Hunting Blind


Recently, I had some time to myself and decided to go camping and hunting.  My plan was to hunt and fish for my food while away from "civilization" for a few days without our usual camping necessities. What follows is a documented conglomeration of fire starting, gigging for frogs, cleaning and cooking frogs, and building a hunting blind.

 Here are the tools and the spot for building this blind. Shovel, Chainsaw, Electric Screwdriver, Wood screws, a few 2X4s of various length and a hammer and nails in case I run out of juice.

The frame is going up against the trunk of the tree.  A little trimming and digging is all that's happened beyond that.
Here's the frame up close.  I plan on using as little "man-made" material as possible and cutting most of the camo from the dead wood laying near there.   The ice storm from 4 years ago is still evident in all of the dead branches covering the ground.

Here's the unfinished view from inside.  The jeep has no idea I'm in there...


 Here's the (game) view about halfway through.  Not too bad for our eyes, but a turkey would spot movement in there in no time.  Need some more cover.



So here is where it stands as of now:  A quaint house for 1 in the Shire.  Lots of charm, and could use some love.  These shots show my attempt to use the natural foliage and downed timber to create some camouflage.  It still needs some work, but I'll help things along by pinning up camouflage burlap sheets on the inside.  That should break up our outlines and help muffle sound in there.  More pictures when it's finished.
 No, that's not a tan-line.

Those of you who work outside a lot already know how dirty you can get, but I thought it'd be fun to finish this post with a before and after shot of my sock-dirt-line.  See if you can figure out which one was after the shower....and yes, my feet could blind an albino bat.


No comments:

Post a Comment